Saturday, September 29, 2018

Family Movie Night: Unicorns or Noah's Ark ideas

My daughter loves unicorns.  I decided that this month's family movie night would be centered around the unicorn theme.  As I made my plans I realized that all the unicorn foods were mostly just rainbow foods.  As such, this meal would also be the perfect accompaniment for the Veggie Tales' "Noah's Ark" movie as well; thus making it the perfect night for all ages.

It all started with this recipe.  Like me, you may have seen the Pin for "Quick and Simple Unicorn Noodles" on Pinterest.  I knew I had to make them.  Bonus, the chef explains the chemistry behind the different colored noodles in the blog post.  In our home, my husband and I call that "secret schooling." It's those little hidden lessons that we love. We chose to use a pesto sauce for the noodles which added a fun green shade.  I thought the red sauce would be too overpowering for the pale noodles.

We like to do a craft on family movie night as well.  We are currently creating an alphabet with animals on them.  I saw this as the perfect opportunity to create the U for Unicorn. It may not be a real animal, but it is too cute an opportunity to pass up.  I even found an adorable blog for inspiration.

After that recipe I started digging deeper into the world of unicorn food.  There are a lot of cute options out there.  We made a few alterations to make our meal slightly less pricey and more fitting to us.  For the spaghetti, we did not use the more difficult to find and expensive cellophane noodles.  However, this may be a common thing in your area (lucky).  We made a Unicorn Poop veggie dip but I altered it to be the more traditional ranch and sour cream dip since we don't like greek yogurt.  We used carrots for dipping but referred to them as unicorn horns.  We go all the way with our themes.

For a second side, I opted for a super colorful fruit salad.  It kept with the rainbow theme but added an extra tasty side that seemed needed.  Add in your families favorite fruits.  Bonus: Turn it into "secret schooling" by making this with your kids and talking about the colors of the rainbow (who remembers Roy G Biv?)  You could also use this as a guide and turn it into a cute Bible lesson.

Now for the desert! Best part of the meal, right? I found a recipe for Rainbow Unicorn Dip.  It's really just cheesecake dip with graham crackers.  This recipe also makes suggestions for more natural food coloring. 

Below, I have listed our movie night meal, activity and movie.  Enjoy!

Meal:
Quick and Simple Unicorn Noodles
Easy Homemade Pesto
Unicorn Poop Veggie Dip (with carrots for dipping)
Fruit salad (the more colorful the better)... call it "Unicorn Salad"
Rainbow Unicorn Dip (with graham crackers for dipping)

Activity idea:
Paper Unicorn 
Follow and Obey God's Colorful Way (fruit salad activity)
Noah's Ark Doorknob Hanger (We made this when my daughter was younger.  It's a big hit.)

Movie:
Unicorn- "The Secret of Moonacre"
Rainbows- "VeggieTales: Noah's Ark"

No comments:

Post a Comment